Not everyone knows but one of the main concerns when it comes to air purifiers is related to ozone.
However, there is a lot of misinformation around this theme on the web, that’s why we’ve decided to provide you with anything you need to know about this topic.
What Is Ozone?
First of all, let’s talk about Ozone? Is it harmful?
Ozone is a chemical form of Oxygen. The Ozone level that we have in our atmosphere protects us and the planet from receiving too much radiation from the sun.
There is good ozone and harmful ozone.
- Useful ozone is the one we’ve just talked about: there is a level in our atmosphere (the stratosphere) where Ozone is found naturally. This makes a shield against UV-A and UV-B rays.
- Harmful ozone: the fact is that ozone is useful only when it stays in the stratosphere (which is the upper level of the atmosphere). When we find ozone lower than that, it becomes harmful. The main source of ozone below the stratosphere is industrial and automotive pollution.
Can Ozone Have Harmful Effects On Our Health?
Ozone gas is harmful to human beings. It’s a lung irritant, and breathing it can cause a lot of health problems.
Chest pain, throat irritation, and coughing are the most common symptoms of ozone exposure.
Ozone And Air Purifier
But why do we have concerns about ozone when it comes to air purifiers?
Air purifiers can produce ozone. Not all air purifiers, however, have this concern: it depends on the type of filter they use.
The air purifiers that produce ozone are:
- The ones that use fans and filters for cleaning the air
- The ones that add an electric charge to the air (ionic filters)
- Ozone air purifiers rely on large quantities of ozone.
In some countries, air purifiers that produce large quantities of ozone are banned (California, for example), but you can still find many of these models on the market.
So, pay attention when you purchase your air purifier.
What Air Purifiers Should I Choose?
Air purifiers that only use filter-based technology for cleaning the air in your room do not produce ozone in quantity.
How Can I Make Sure My Air Purifier Doesn’t Produce Ozone?
You should check the product package or description. First of all, avoid the air purifiers that come with these labels: Ozone generator or Ozone Air Purifier.
Second, only pick air purifiers that have been verified and certificated by known associations like the AHAM.
Why Do They Produce Ozone Air Purifiers If It’s Harmful?
Ozone air purifiers are only meant for environments where no human or pet animal is exposed to them. This is why you find them on the market, but they are not meant for residential use.
Now that you know everything you need to know about air purifiers and ozone, you can make a safe purchase.
Amit Gupta is the founder of National Planning Cycles, a company that helps startups, individuals, and small businesses with their financial planning. He has a vast amount of experience in the finance sector, having managed Google Play accounts for some of the world’s most successful unicorns. Amit is an expert in his field, and he uses his knowledge to help others achieve their individual goals.