Viruses can be lethal for your devices, and can potentially destroy your data if ignored, and if you are looking for antivirus software then this guide on top 10 Best Antivirus Software can help you immensely!
We know that computer viruses are a growing concern, and not just for computers. Phones, tablets, TVs – they’re all susceptible to a virus attack.
In fact, antivirus software is one of the most important security measures you can take to protect your devices from malicious software that could steal data or invade your privacy without you even knowing it.
But which antivirus program should you choose? The answer depends on what kind of device(s) you have and how much money you want to spend.
Here are some of our favorite picks for 2022:
What Is An Antivirus Software And Why You Need One
Basic antivirus software will scan your computer for viruses, spyware, and malware.
These programs are invaluable to your computer’s security. They help protect your device from all sorts of harmful data that can invade it without you knowing.
For instance, malware feeds off private data like bank account details, passwords, and other PINs which could be used to steal money from your account.
Antivirus software can also provide protection against ransomware, a type of virus that requests payment in order to unlock files on the device.
Antivirus software can do a whole lot more than scanning for viruses, malware, and spyware.
They also offer other features such as anti-phishing to protect you from fake sites that try to steal your information, parental controls which allow parents to keep a close eye on their children’s browsing history and block unsuitable content, an internet booster that speeds up the connection by closing unnecessary programs running in the background or other functions that you may not need at the time.
Best Antivirus Softwares
Here are our 10 best options based on:
- Norton Antivirus — Best Overall
- Kaspersky Antivirus — Runner Up
- McAfee Antivirus — Best Multi-Device Antivirus
- Bitdefender Plus — Best Well-Rounded Protection
- Avira Free Antivirus — Best User-Friendly Antivirus
- Avast Free Antivirus — Best Free Antivirus
- Malwarebytes — Beast Malware Scanning and Protection
- Sophos Home — Best Family Antivirus Plans
- Trend Micro Maximum Security — Best Premium Antivirus
- Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus — Best Lightweight Antivirus
1. Norton Antivirus — Best Overall
Norton AntiVirus Plus is a great antivirus software from NortonLifeLock.
Even with the entry-level antivirus package, the major attraction is the sheer number of features you receive – not to mention the high quality of those features.
They contain a very helpful intelligent firewall that is a big help in terms of system policing, as well as some extremely extensive browser protection features to keep you secure online.
There are also some unique features not found in other antivirus software, such as a bundled backup tool with 2GB of online storage (which is also highly user-friendly, making backup a pleasure) and other valuable PC maintenance apps.
- Norton 360 Standard: Starts at $7.99 per month
- Norton 360 Deluxe: Starts at $9.99 per month
- Norton 360 with LifeLock Select: Starts at $14.99 per month
Pros and Cons
- Excellent anti-malware protection
- PC security features such as firewalls and backups
- LifeLock identity theft protection
- Password manager
- During full scans, the device slows down.
- The detection of ransomware could be better.
- One of the more expensive options
2. Kaspersky Antivirus — Runner Up
Kaspersky Anti-Virus is the company’s entry-level service for Windows PCs, with coverage for up to ten devices.
Kaspersky doesn’t have as many features as some of the other products on our list, but it focuses on the security necessities and does a good job of it.
Kaspersky’s fundamental antivirus capabilities are quite robust, with the company scoring at or near the top in all of the major independent test laboratories’ most recent findings. Kaspersky also has several useful self-protection features.
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus: Starts at $21.49 per year
Pros and Cons
- Features that aren’t found in other software.
- The user interface is simple and easy to understand.
- There are several customization options available.
- Protect your email.
- Several of the program’s features are not free.
- To activate the software, you must first create a user account.
- Installation takes a long time.
3. McAfee Antivirus — Best Multi-Device Antivirus
Although McAfee’s malware detection has vastly improved in recent years, it is still far from perfect.
Despite this, McAfee AntiVirus Plus, the entry-level version, is a wonderful option: The software comes with a file shredder and a two-way firewall, and it costs $60 per year for up to 10 (in fact, unlimited) devices, whether they run Windows, macOS, iOS, or Android.
You’ll have to pay for McAfee Total Protection or its sibling McAfee LiveSafe, which comes pre-installed on many new PCs if you want parental controls or one of the best password managers in the industry.
These two security suites’ multi-device licenses also include an identity-protection service.
However, none of the McAfee packages provide secure browser or webcam security, which is common among premium antivirus solutions.
- McAfee AntiVirus Plus: Starts at $24.99 per year
- McAfee Total Protection: Starts at $29.99 per year
Pros and Cons
- Offers protection for all mobile devices, including Android and iOS.
- Great firewall
- Excellent malware detection
- Price includes a variety of extra features.
- Limited features for Apple devices
4. Bitdefender Plus — Best Well-Rounded Protection
Bitdefender was founded in 2001 and is based in Bucharest, Romania’s capital. The company employs over 1,600 people and has offices all around the world.
Bitdefender Plus is the company’s entry-level antivirus software, making it suited for non-technical home users and anyone looking for basic threat protection.
Because viruses aren’t the only cyber-threats, Bitdefender Plus includes a number of security-focused features.
These features include ransomware protection, monitoring online purchases, and web-based transactions, and password management, which allows users to create unique passwords for everything, all of which can be controlled from a single dashboard.
Bitdefender Plus is available for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS.
- Bitdefender Plus 1 Year Plan: Starts at $14.99 per year
Pros and Cons
- Detecting ransomware
- Password manager
- Provides a “Do Not Track” option for improved data privacy.
- With a subscription, you get frequent updates.
- VPN service is available, however it requires a separate subscription.
5. Avira Free Antivirus — Best User-Friendly Antivirus
The optional “in-the-cloud detection” function dubbed Protection Cloud is the major element of Avira’s free software suite that sets it apart.
This scanning method allows Avira’s antivirus product to detect and stop viruses before they become a major problem.
Avira can scan for and remove current threats, as well as identify and block new ones automatically. It protects your device from ransomware, Trojans, spyware, and other forms of malware.
You can even pick which ones to actively monitor and deactivate others, such as dialers, jokes, adware, and so on (though this is not recommended).
- Avira Free Antivirus: Free
- Avira Antivirus Pro: Starts at $44.99 per year
Pros and Cons
- Password manager included.
- Antivirus software that runs in the cloud.
- Additional downloadable protection layers are available as an option.
- To be fully functional, add-on components usually require a fee.
- Extra features might be annoying.
6. Avast Free Antivirus — Best Free Antivirus
For good reason, Avast is used by hundreds of millions of users and scores high on practically every “best list” of antivirus software.
You should use it if you want reliable software that will stop new threats while being easy to customize.
Avast Free Antivirus is similar to Avira in that it has supplemental modules that increase the virus shield and provide extra protection and privacy features.
The antivirus section includes a lot of options, but it’s still simple enough for anybody to use since most things have information blurbs next to them so you don’t have to guess what will happen if you activate them.
- Avast Free Antivirus: Free
- Avast Premium Security: Starts at $29.99 per year
- Avast Ultimate: Starts at $29.99 per year
Pros and Cons
- Add-ons allow you to increase your protection.
- Good customizability.
- The password manager and some of the other utilities are only available for trial use.
- Additional features must be purchased separately.
7. Malwarebytes — Beast Malware Scanning and Protection
Malwarebytes is a cybersecurity company based in Santa Clara, California, that focuses on protecting personal computers and mobile devices.
Malwarebytes’ free edition is limited yet effective. It doesn’t have a lot of complex features or protections; all it does is detect and remove malware.
Malwarebytes is a great tool for detecting, quarantining and eliminating malware that is causing havoc on your system. You can use the free version to perform a full or fast scan at any time, and it will provide a report on your system.
Malwarebytes’ premium version includes 24/7 monitoring, protection against exploits until the software is patched, ransomware blocking, and protection from infected websites.
- Malwarebytes Free Antivirus: Free
- Malwarebytes Premium: Starts at $1.33 per month
- Malwarebytes Premium + Privacy: Starts at $4.17 per month
Pros and Cons
- Blocks ransomware
- Eliminates malware
- Real-time detection
- The free version offers far less protection and features.
8. Sophos Home — Best Family Antivirus Plans
Sophos Home Premium can protect (up to) ten devices (Windows and Mac computers).
Although experts may find the UI oversimplified and dissatisfied by the lack of features or low-level modifications, it is developed with beginners in mind, which isn’t a bad thing.
The user interface is also a little clumsy in places – but the online management console might be useful for those who want to monitor and control their non-tech-savvy family members’ devices.
Sophos delivers effective virus protection, and it passed all anti-ransomware tests. Sophos Home Premium might be an excellent value proposition for people who wish to secure many PCs, considering the antivirus software on offer and the 10 device limit.
- Sophos Home Premium: Starts at $49.99 per year
Pros and Cons
- Excellent value for protecting several PCs.
- Powerful antivirus engine
- In some ways, the UI is clumsy.
- Options are limited.
9. Trend Micro Maximum Security — Best Premium Antivirus
Trend Micro was founded in the United States in 1988 but is currently based in Tokyo, Japan. The company operates on a worldwide scale and has a slew of IT sector partnerships.
Trend Micro Antivirus+ Security not only provides an aggressive antivirus system at a reasonable price, but it also includes a number of security tools, such as layered ransomware protections, a firewall booster, and the Pay Guard browser, which offers the safest levels of protection for online banking and purchases.
Trend Micro’s Advanced AI Learning feature is included in every edition of this antivirus software, and it detects new ransomware infections and other emerging threats and prevents them before they do harm to the computer network.
Only the top tier of the product family offers password management and security.
For those who don’t want to micromanage their security, this is the antivirus software option.
This version is only available for Windows, although Trend Micro also offers a Mac version. Mobile operating systems are also supported by the top-tier plan.
- Antivirus+ Security – Protection for 1 PC: Starts at $19.95 per year
Pros and Cons
- Reasonable pricing
- Secures online financial transactions
- Easy-to-use dashboard
- Several bonus features
- The majority of versions are only for Windows.
- Resource intensive
10. Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus — Best Lightweight Antivirus
Almost every antivirus program promises to be “lightweight,” but Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus goes above and beyond.
The app’s memory footprint is also minuscule, with virus definitions kept in the cloud. Installation takes seconds, and it only takes up a little amount of disc space.
Despite this, there are no compromises in terms of functionality, which makes Webroot even more outstanding.
You get lightning-fast virus scans, as well as a clever ‘firewall’ monitoring system, accurate real-time anti-phishing, and identity theft protection, among other features.
SecureAnywhere Internet Security Plus, a step up in the Webroot lineup, extends coverage beyond Windows and Mac PCs to mobile devices, as well as providing a password manager (courtesy of LastPass) and protecting up to five devices (rather than three).
- Webroot Antivirus: Starts at $39.99 per year
- Webroot Internet Security Plus: Starts at $59.99 per year
Pros and Cons
- Streamlined app
- Exceptionally well-designed
- Fast virus scans
- Testing data from independent laboratories is limited.
|Software||Best For||Price||Best Feature||Rating|
|Norton Antivirus||Overall||Starts at $7.99 per month||Firewalls and backups||4/5|
|Kaspersky Antivirus||Coverage||Starts at $21.49 per year||Security focus||4.2/5|
|McAfee Antivirus||Multi-Device||Starts at $24.99 per year||Identity-protection||4/5|
|Bitdefender Plus||Well-Rounded Protection||Starts at $14.99 per year||“Do Not Track” option||3.8/5|
|Avira Free Antivirus||User-Friendly Antivirus||Free||Downloadable protection||4.5/5|
Choosing the best antivirus software for your device can be difficult.
There are so many options out there, and they each offer something different in terms of features or pricing models.
We hope that this article has helped you narrow down your search to find a few top picks that will meet all of your needs!
How do you know if your phone is infected with a virus?
If you notice your battery draining, your screen automatically restarting itself, or a notification from an app you’ve never used before – all of this could be a sign that something is wrong.
When should I install antivirus software on my PC?
Most antivirus companies recommend installing antivirus software before you initiate your PC.
The security of your internet browser, chat apps, emails, passwords are all more likely to be compromised if you don’t have proper protection.
Most new devices come pre-installed with their own default brand of a security suite that comes with malware detection features.
It’s always best to check the list of pre-loaded software before making any changes!
What are the benefits of installing antivirus programs?
Some of the main benefits of installing an antivirus program include:
- Prevents unauthorized access to your computer
- Blocks spam and malware from delivering harmful codes
- Protects against data theft by stopping malicious software from accessing accounts
- Eliminates unsafe browsing habits such as clicking on unfamiliar links or opening email attachments that may contain malware.
Amit Gupta is the founder of National Planning Cycles, a company that helps startups, individuals, and small businesses with their financial planning. He has a vast amount of experience in the finance sector, having managed Google Play accounts for some of the world’s most successful unicorns. Amit is an expert in his field, and he uses his knowledge to help others achieve their individual goals.