This guide on the 7 Best Charcoal Smoker is for you if you are looking for something that can help you in giving a very pleasant smoky flavor to your food.
Smoking is preferred by some people because smokers cook the food by regulating a better heat temperature inside the smoker.
It not only helps in cooking the food well but the smokiness, tenderness, and juiciness in the food are also better.
So let’s begin!
How To Choose The best charcoal smoker?
While there are different types of smokers available, charcoal smokers use charcoal as the fuel, and they cook the food with the help of maintaining a specific heat with the help of smoke.
The best charcoal smoker is the one that can cook amazing food with the most user convenience.
Best Charcoal Smoker
Here are our 7 best options based on:
- Best vertical – DGO1176BDC-D Dyna-Glo
- Best budget – JiaDa Charcoal Smoker
- Best compact – Kamado Charcoal Smoker by VESSILS
- Best multi-function – Generic CMI Charcoal Smoker
- Best 3-in-1 – HUMOS charcoal smoker 3-in-1
- Best heavy-duty – Dyna-Glo DGSS675CB-D
- Best practical – Char-Broil Charcoal Smoker Bullet 16 inch
1. DGO1176BDC-D Dyna-Glo – Best vertical
Pros and Cons
- The vertical design helps a lot in rising smoke naturally, so it helps in cooking everything present in it in a better way.
- The height due to vertical design keeps the direct heat away from the food and it is only cooked with the hot smoke providing a unique taste
- Height adjustable cooking levels let you smoke the food right according to how you need it to be.
- There are no wheels, so it is not a very portable thing
A charcoal smoker can be your best choice for cooking barbecue if you love tender and juicy food that is very well cooked as well.
However, along with good cooking qualities, it is also important to be better in terms of reliability and durability, and all of these come along with this charcoal smoker.
The features of this charcoal start with the cooking area. It features a cooking area of 1176 square inches.
In this huge cooking area, you can put 25 pounds per grate which means you can cook 150 pounds of food at a time.
However, it may take longer this way. The adjustable flue of the smoker helps in setting the smokiness in the food according to your requirements.
Why should you buy this?
Unlike grilling and smoking the food requires a little different technique for cooking. While not a lot of smokers come with this many features.
It could be your right choice. The only thing that you have to let go of is the convenience to move it around. Otherwise, it is a great product overall.
It is a charcoal smoker that brings most of the convenience for you in every matter.
There is a charcoal chamber and an ashtray that gets out very easily for cleaning purposes.
Along with that, the stainless steel thermometer helps you maintain the internal heat in a better way. Lastly, it comes with very sturdy construction.
DGO1176BDC-D Dyna-Glo Review
2. JiaDa Charcoal Smoker – Best budget
Pros and Cons
- It comes in a very reasonable design that you can easily assemble without any tools
- The removable grate is very easy to clean
- There is an amazing ventilation system on both sides of the charcoal smoker
- There are no handles to hold the charcoal smoker when hot
If you are looking for something that fulfills the purpose without needing a lot, then it might be the perfect choice for you.
The mainstream design keeps things minimal and the cost minimal as well. On the other hand, there are no issues with it performing great as a smoker.
It is a very portable charcoal smoker that you can carry almost everywhere.
The best part is that if you maintain the charcoal level high then it can work as a grill as well.
It almost provides a cooking area of 160 square inch which is more than enough for 2 people.
If portability and budget-friendliness are your main requirements, then you must go with this option.
However, if you want the features like temperature gauges and adjustable air vents then it might not be the best choice for you.
3. Kamado Charcoal Smoker By VESSILS – Best compact
Pros and Cons
- Heavy-duty ceramic construction helps in retaining the heat very well
- The stainless steel grate is very easy to clean
- There is a built-in thermometer that helps in maintaining the temperature
- If you think that it is an easy to carry charcoal smoker then its ceramic construction can make you think twice
It is a 5-in-1 charcoal smoker that is not only compact but is full of features and provides multiple usages as well.
Here you can not only smoke food, but it can also be an amazing choice if you need to practice any other cooking techniques.
The ceramic build of this charcoal smoker helps in evenly spreading the heat.
The dual iron handle and stand help in moving it around even when it is working.
It comes with a rain-resistant design so there will be no issue in outdoor usage of this product.
Sometimes you need a product to be compact, but you can make no compromises on the features and functionalities.
It is the product that comes with the same qualities.
Read: 7 Best Charcoal Smoker
4. Generic CMI Charcoal Smoker – Best multi-function
Pros and Cons
- Amazing choice for meat, fish, vegetables, and more
- Helps in retaining powerful smoke flavors in your food
- Can be used for baking pizza
- Not very easy to move
Have you ever thought of baking a pizza in a charcoal smoker or using it as your fire bowl?
Well, this multi-function charcoal smoker can do all of this.
Amazingly enough, it comes with a lot of other practical features right out of the box.
Speaking of features, it starts with a temperature gauge that helps in maintaining the temperature. The removable lid helps in using it in any way you like.
There are different levels to set the grate that you can use to grill or bake or smoke the food according to your needs.
Although the design on this thing may not be that great, it may end up as a great investment you made.
With a lot of purposes to serve, this charcoal smoker can be the best charcoal smoker for many other needs of yours as well.
5. HUMOS Charcoal Smoker 3-In-1 – Best 3-in-1
Pros and Cons
- A small 18-inch charcoal smoker that can cook most of the things
- Comes with porcelain enamel coating
- There are separate water and charcoal bowls for the best flavors and tenderness
- It is not the best product if you are looking to move it around like a standard grill
It is a product that is more than just a charcoal smoker. It comes with a design that lets it be used in several ways even as an oven.
The best part is that its design helps you retain the smoky flavor in the best manner whether you are cooking, grilling, or smoking anything
It comes with a double air control system that lets you control the upper and lower air vents separately for the right temperature regulation.
Along with the air vents, there is a temperature gauge as well that tells you the exact level of heat inside the smoker so that you can set the initial heat and the cooking temperature according to the recipes.
With its easy-to-access door, using it in several ways does not require any tools.
While it features a very minimal and mainstream design, the product comes with a lot of interesting and amazing features.
So, if you need a charcoal smoker that does not compromise on any of the features then it could be your best choice.
6. Dyna-Glo DGSS675CB-D – Best heavy-duty
Pros and Cons
- Stainless steel material makes it very durable
- Very easy to clean
- Black powder coat makes the whole thing very durable and resistant to high temperatures
- There is a lack of instructions, and it is not that easy to set up if you do not have a technical way of thinking
While some people only focus on features some make sure to invest in things that come with reliability and peace of mind along with their features.
This charcoal smoker is a perfect example of such products as there are hardly any features that you may miss in this product.
Starting with portability, the wheels make it easy to move around while the thick legs on the other side help in maintaining balance on any kind of floor.
There are shelves and cool-to-touch handles. The elongated chimney helps to leap the smoke out of your very convenient face.
Along with all the special features, there are some usual features as well like having the temperature gauge and adjustable air vents.
So, if you think that this charcoal smoker fulfills your requirements then you must go for it as it comes with a lot of reliability and durability.
7. Char-Broil Charcoal Smoker Bullet 16 Inch – Best practical
Pros and Cons
- Easy access door helps in checking and maintaining the charcoal inside without the need to move the food or grate
- Porcelain cooking grates help in better cooking and easier cleaning experience
- Two additional side handles help in lifting and moving the charcoal smoker
- Maintaining the temperature inside is not that simple with this charcoal smoker
Although there are no wheels, this is a charcoal smoker that is very convenient to move because of the small size and convenient handles.
Moreover, It is a very lightweight product so moving it around and storing it is very easy.
On top of everything, it comes in a very durable construction making things relatively reliable for years.
Starting with features, the airflow control on this thing is very unique. The airflow vents are present on the bottom which help in the natural rising of air.
The vents also come with a control adjustment for letting only a required limit of air inside.
However, as the opening is not visible, getting used to it can be difficult and it also makes it necessary to be a little more careful when setting airflow.
The removable ashtray makes clearing very easy as you can lift the top part and the ashtray will be right in front of you.
Lastly, the temperature gauge on the top makes sure that you always know the right temperature inside the charcoal smoker.
Practicality is all about having the right features with the durability that makes the charcoal smoker last for years.
This charcoal smoker comes with all of these amazing qualities making it a perfect choice for everyone.
Factors Affecting The Rating Of The best charcoal smoker
To rate the products several factors must be kept in view. While some are necessary some only add additional value to the products.
So, here are some of the factors for the best charcoal smoker rating.
- Flavor retention in food.
- Convenience of usage
- Ease of cleaning
- Portability and easy to move
- Affordability according to features
With all of these factors in view, the best charcoal smoker can get the rating it deserves.
Using a product that is not made for that usage is the worst thing you can do.
When you do this while cooking, the whole experience of cooking and the taste of the recipe will be destroyed.
So, you need to make sure that you have the right set of products to meet all the cooking needs.
A charcoal smoker is a product that is specifically made to cook food with the help of hot smoke instead of direct exposure to fire. It helps in amazingly reattaining the flavors.
So, if you are looking to get a charcoal smoker you can take a look at some of the best charcoal smoker products that we have mentioned above.
You will surely find the right product for you as we have selected the best products only.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Use A Grill As A Charcoal Smoker?
No, you can use a smoker as a grill but using a grill as a smoker will not be the best option
Can Wood Chips Be Used In Charcoal Smokers?
No, for the best cooking experience, smoky flavor, and final food product, you must only use the intended fuel which is charcoal.
Why Are Coated Smokers Better?
Different parts of charcoal smokers come with different types of coating to protect things from heat. These coatings also help in the easier coating.
Amit Gupta is the founder of National Planning Cycles, a company that helps startups, individuals, and small businesses with their financial planning. He has a vast amount of experience in the finance sector, having managed Google Play accounts for some of the world’s most successful unicorns. Amit is an expert in his field, and he uses his knowledge to help others achieve their individual goals.