Tax debt can be a large and frustrating weight to bear, particularly if you’re already in financial difficulty.
#1 Winner of Best Tax Relief Services “Anthem Tax Services”
Fortunately, professional assistance is available for people who owe the IRS thousands of dollars.
Tax relief companies hire a team of tax professionals who can help you work out payment arrangements with the IRS and state tax authorities, including pausing collections during times of financial difficulty (known as “currently not collectible” status).
Here are our top selections for the best tax relief services in 2022.
We reviewed each tax relief company based on its reputation, ratings, prices, guarantees, and expertise.
- Best Overall – Anthem Tax Services
- Best For Small Tax Debt – Community Tax
- Best For Large Tax Debt – Fortress Tax Relief
- Best User Experience – Optima Tax Relief
- Best Customer Service – Precision Tax
- Best For Businesses – Enterprise Consultants Group
- Best Reliable Tax Relief Service – Tax Defense Network
- Best Resources – ALG Tax Solutions
- Best Value – Stop IRS Debt
- Best For Self-Employed Individuals – Larson Tax Relief
Top 10 Best Tax Relief Services in 2022
1. Anthem Tax Services – Best Overall
Anthem Tax Services specializes in IRS tax debt relief and business tax preparation.
The company can assist you with all IRS tax debt relief programs, such as offers in compromise (OIC), innocent spouse relief, and “currently not collectible” status.
They also assist with pay garnishment and tax levy discharge, which are services not commonly provided by competitors.
Anthem’s money-back guarantee is one of the strongest in the tax debt relief market, allowing you to get all of your money back if the company cannot reach an agreement with the IRS.
It’s worth noting that this guarantee excludes the initial investigation fee, which may range from $275 to $450, depending on the specifics of your case.
Anthem accepts clients with tax debts as low as $7,500 (less than the typical $10,000) and provides free consultations.
The company typically charges a flat rate upfront cost — which varies considerably depending on the customer but typically starts around $3,000 — though the price may rise if extra services are required along the way.
Pros and Cons
- Provides a no-questions-asked money-back guarantee.
- NATP and NAEA accreditation
- Payment plans available
- Truck drivers can take advantage of dedicated tax relief options.
- The money-back guarantee does not guarantee a lower total payment amount.
2. Community Tax — Best For Small Tax Debt
Community Tax won our runner-up spot as one of the best overall tax debt relief companies thanks to its high ratings on consumer review websites and free consultation for clients.
Community Tax, based in Chicago, has a long history of assisting taxpayers all around the country.
Small companies may also benefit from tax preparation and outsourced bookkeeping and accounting services provided by the company.
The company’s tax lawyers can also represent you in an IRS audit.
Offers-in-compromise, installment agreements, and innocent spouse relief are all options for resolving tax debt.
The company typically deals with clients who owe varying amounts of money in taxes, but some services have minimums.
Community Tax has been in operation since 2010, proving its effectiveness and reliability for taxpayers.
Community Tax has proven its dependability in an industry where companies come and go.
The firm has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, where it has been recognised since 2015, and customer ratings on the BBB site give it an average of 4.43 stars.
Pros and Cons
- A 14-day money-back guarantee is available.
- Mobile app for the Community Tax Assurance Program
- Provider of continuing education that has been authorized by the IRS
- Cases under $10,000 will be accepted.
- Pricing is more complicated than those of competitors.
- Chat support is limited in usefulness.
3. Fortress Tax Relief — Best For Large Tax Debt
Standard percentage-based rates will drastically overcharge you if you have a large tax debt relative to the amount of work needed for your case.
With a high IRS tax debt, Fortress Tax Relief’s hourly-based pricing structure provides you with the best chance for savings.
Fortress Tax Relief takes a different approach by generating quotes depending on the estimated amount of time needed.
Attorney hourly charges vary, but EA hourly rates often range from $100 to $200 per hour.
If you have a lot of tax debt, this means you’ll probably spend a lot less than you would if you used a percentage-based tax relief company.
Working with Fortress Tax Relief has a few other advantages, like their thorough customer service guarantee.
Clients with active cases should expect a response to their calls and emails within two business days.
If the company fails to deliver on this promise more than once, the customer will be given a $100 account credit for each subsequent failure.
Pros and Cons
- There is no fee structure based on a percentage.
- Deals with state tax debt in all 50 U.S. states.
- Provides a monetary guarantee of customer service.
- Tax debt of at least $10,000 is required.
- Business services are limited.
4. Optima Tax Relief — Best User Experience
Optima Tax Relief helps with all IRS and state tax debt-relief options, including penalty abatements, offers in compromise, innocent spouse relief, and wage garnishment releases.
The company’s team consists of enrolled agents, tax lawyers, and CPAs, among other tax specialists. Individual and corporate tax preparation services are also available.
Like many other top tax debt relief companies, Optima provides free consultations.
During these sessions, the company explains its two-step process: putting up a protection plan — which involves submitting paperwork to stop any immediate IRS action against you — and providing you with a case summary.
The initiation fee for Optima is usually approximately $495, and you must have a minimum of $10,000 in tax debt to qualify.
Notably, Optima has a specialized app that allows you to get free assessments of each IRS collection notice you receive and also assists you in applying for a tax filing deadline extension.
Pros and Cons
- Tax relief and protection services
- A proprietary app allows you to assess collection notices for free. The client
- the portal provides an excellent online experience.
- Free consultations
- Shorter 15-day money-back guarantee than competitors
- Minimum tax debt of $10,000 is required.
5. Precision Tax — Best Customer Service
Based in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, Precision Tax assists clients with IRS tax settlements (Offer In Compromise or OIC), wage garnishments, tax liens, and back tax returns.
Since 2013, they have helped over 700 individuals resolve their debts via OIC.
Precision Tax clients can obtain a free consultation with a tax professional through the company website or by calling their toll-free number.
A professional will go through your options, pricing and advise on how to continue with tax relief during the evaluation.
The company promises that it will contact the IRS within 24 hours of you becoming a client and that you do not have to pay in full right away.
The website provides a broad library of tax relief terms, as well as a 30-day money-back guarantee and a service guarantee, in addition to flat-fee, flexible payment periods.
Precision Tax also provides easy-to-reach customer care by phone, text, email, and live chat.
Pros and Cons
- A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
- Customer service is available through phone, text, email, and live chat.
- Flat-rate, all-inclusive cost
- All clients are eligible for no-interest payment options.
- There is no representation for a tax audit.
- Limited online resources
6. Enterprise Consultants Group — Best For Businesses
Enterprise Consultants Group has the most comprehensive list of business services among all tax relief firms.
Tax-related problems such as payroll tax settlement and tax accounting, business licensing, registered agent services, and other issues requiring an accountant or lawyer are among the services tailored to small businesses.
Enterprise Consultants Group provides a free consultation, common among tax relief firms.
Individuals and businesses may, however, get a free IRS transcript analysis via the company.
Most competitors charge for this, so it’s a great deal with no strings attached.
Enterprise Consultants Group is an NATP-accredited firm with additional legal credentials.
The firm, however, does not provide a guarantee, and its website is lacking in resources.
Pros and Cons
- A comprehensive range of small business services is available.
- Free IRS transcript analysis is included in the consultation.
- Accredited by NATP
- No minimum tax debt requirement
- Few online resources
- No guarantee
7. Tax Defense Network — Best Reliable Tax Relief Service
Tax Defense Network stands out for a variety of reasons.
It offers fully bilingual customer support, with both Spanish and English speakers able to visit the website (and agents).
In certain cases, the company will accept tax debt as little as $5,000, making it more accessible than many of its competitors.
In addition to the full range of IRS and state tax debt relief options that competitors provide (payments plans, innocent spouse relief, offers in compromise, etc.), Tax Defense Network also provides specialized business tax solutions, such as close corporate filing services for firms that must permanently close.
It also has more educational resources than other companies, such as offer-in-compromise and tax withholding calculators.
Pros and Cons
- A highly rated company that has been in operation since 2007.
- Low minimum debt requirement
- Bilingual customer service
- Various tax debt relief and preparation services are available.
- When compared to others, it might be expensive.
- Minimum debt amounts may apply to work with them.
8. ALG Tax Solutions — Best Resources
ALG Tax Solutions provides a complete library of free educational tools designed to empower clients and prevent tax debt in the future.
Online calculators, eBooks, and other helpful tools are among the company’s free services.
For example, the company provides a free online tool called the IRS Letter Decoder that allows you to determine the seriousness of an IRS notice by inputting a code found on the letter. ALG Tax Solutions was founded in 2011.
ALG Tax Solutions also provides a standalone service known as a tax help evaluation, a very low-cost solution in which a tax professional evaluates your tax documentation, does a comprehensive financial review, and provides advice on how to continue.
After completing this service, you are under no obligation to sign up for additional tax relief services with ALG Tax Solutions.
The expert who reviews your case may even suggest measures you can take to resolve the matter independently.
Pros and Cons
- Online library featuring free eBooks, calculators, and resources
- Low-cost tax help evaluation is available
- Provides services to individuals, small businesses, and self-employed people.
- Only helps with state taxes in Michigan
- There is no guarantee.
9. Stop IRS Debt — Best Value
Stop IRS Debt has been in business for over 18 years and is based in Encino, California.
Established tax debt relief organizations are more likely to be reputable and provide clients with a positive customer service experience and a high level of value.
Stop IRS Debt, unlike many of the other tax debt relief companies we looked at, provided pricing estimates on its website, which is why we chose them as the best value option.
Simple tax settlement services may cost anywhere from $1,500 to $2,500, while tax returns might cost as little as a few hundred dollars.
The company also provides a free consultation, but it quickly points out that more complicated matters can cost far more.
The Better Business Bureau has given the company an A rating, and it has been certified since 2011.
On the BBB website, it has a 3.5-star rating, though there are some bad reviews on the BBB site and elsewhere.
The company was prompt in responding to consumer complaints on the BBB website.
Pros and Cons
- Working with clients on tax relief for over 18 years
- Free tax consultation for your company or personal situation
- Some simple tax projects may just cost a few hundred dollars.
- Low minimum debt requirements
- Some clients complained that their calls were not returned.
10. Larson Tax Relief — Best For Self-Employed Individuals
Larson Tax Relief provides a wide range of tax debt relief services, including personal IRS tax debt relief, corporate tax assistance, and even help delay or prevent bank levies.
They provides free consultations, but you must have a minimum of $10,000 in tax debt for them to take on your case.
Larson Tax Relief, situated in the Denver metro area, is a nationwide tax relief service.
Although it is a debt relief firm, it also specializes in personal and business taxes, which is important for a self-employed business owner.
You’ll need to book a free consultation to get your custom pricing quote, which you can do by calling the company.
We chose Larson Tax Relief because it offers specialized business tax expertise and a 15-day money-back guarantee for new clients, and high reviews across numerous platforms.
Pros and Cons
- New clients get a 15-day money-back guarantee.
- Expertise in personal taxes
- Highly rated by past customers.
- Can help in resolving complex business tax problems
- Consultation required for pricing
- For serious tax debt issues, a 15-day money-back guarantee may be insufficient.
The best tax relief services can alleviate a lot of the stress and financial strain that IRS debt causes.
These tax relief companies outline the best steps to take to negotiate relief programs with the IRS on your behalf, relieve or decrease your debt, and help you prevent future tax problems.
If you’re overwhelmed with tax debt, using the services of a tax relief company may be the best way to relieve your stress and get the most relief from the IRS.
How does tax relief work?
Individuals and businesses may benefit from tax relief by lowering their overall tax burden.
In the case of tax relief companies, this involves going through your tax documents and determining which IRS repayment program is best for you.
What does tax relief include?
A free consultation is generally the first step in the tax relief process, during which a case manager will review your existing tax burden and provide you with a quote for continued service.
Once you’ve agreed, the case manager will do a thorough investigation into your taxes and recommend the best course of action.
Finally, they’ll negotiate with the IRS to ensure that you get the best possible result.
How much does tax relief cost?
The cost varies per case, as it does with many similar services. It depends on the amount of tax debt owed, the services provided, and the work that has to be done.
Some companies charge a percentage of the amount owed, while others charge flat fees ranging from $200 to $500 per hour.