To create a basic and professional-looking website these days, you don’t need to be a web developer with coding abilities and a lot of time and money.
#1 Winner of Best Website Builders “Wix”
Wix, Squarespace, Weebly, and other popular website builders make it simple for even a newbie to create a beautiful website in a short amount of time, even if they want more advanced features like email marketing or an eCommerce website.
The ideal website builder for you is determined by your specific requirements.
Because there are so many options, combing through all of the free options for a basic website and all of the eCommerce website builders for a more complex commercial website may be intimidating.
Because of the industry’s complexity and expansion, you have more options than ever before, and you can easily find the best website builder for your goals and requirements.
Whatever your web strategy or budget, we’ve compiled a thorough list of the world’s best website builder services right now.
- Wix — Best Overall
- Shopify — Best eCommerce
- Bluehost — Best WordPress
- Weebly — Best For Beginners
- Duda — Best For A Customized Experience
- Zyro — Most User-Friendly
- GoDaddy — Best Customer Support
- Jimdo — Best For Designers and Photographers
- WordPress.com — Best For Writers and Bloggers
- HostGator — Most Affordable
What is a Website Builder?
A website builder is any system or application that gives you the ability to build your own website without knowing how to code.
A website builder will create a full webpage for you, while some ‘website builders’ only give you the option of adding pre-determined content blocks on your site.
You may be wondering why you would want to use a website builder if it is not fully customizable?
A website is important in business nowadays because it is an easy way for people to find out more about your company and products.
If someone has never heard of your company before, they can easily find out more about what they are buying by looking at your online presence.
Furthermore, having a website allows potential customers, clients, and investors to contact you with ease.
So, if you are on the lookout for a way to make your company more accessible online, the website builders below might be the right fit for you!
Top 10 Best Website Builders In 2022
1. Wix — Best Overall
Wix takes the top spot as the best website builder overall, thanks to its premium design versatility and ease of use.
Wix gives you a lot more flexibility when it comes to customizing your website pages, and it has a variety of options to fit the demands of various website designers.
Building a website with Wix is a breeze from start to end, thanks to drag-and-drop functionality and more than 500 industry-specific themes.
Wix’s website builder allows website developers to tweak and adjust all aspects of their site without needing to know any code.
- Combo: Starts at $14 per month
- Unlimited: Starts at $18 per month
- Pro: Starts at $23 per month
- VIP: Starts at $39 per month
Pros and Cons
- Excellent editing tools
- A large number of pre-designed templates are available.
- Great e-commerce support
- Editor confusing at first
- Exporting to HTML is not possible.
- Templates are not changeable.
2. Shopify — Best eCommerce
Shopify is one of the most popular eCommerce website builders. You can create a beautiful online store in a couple of days with no coding at all.
You can pick a modern website design and then modify each page using a drag-and-drop builder, just like other builders.
Whenever you need a new feature, there’s a good chance you’ll find it among the 5,500+ apps and integrations available in the Shopify app store.
Alternatively, since Shopify offers open APIs, you may hire a web developer to create a custom integration for you.
A Shopify eCommerce website is very easy to handle.
The CRM system is simple to use, and you have a variety of store management tools to help you with typical activities like product catalog management, inventory management, and shipping.
To run a blog, you also have a robust content management system.
Overall, you have everything you need to manage a small-to-medium-sized eCommerce business.
- Basic Shopify: Starts at $29 per month
- Shopify: Starts at $79 per month
- Advanced Shopify: Starts at $299 per month
Pros and Cons
- Clear and intuitive interface
- Comes with an app store
- Learning curve
- Lacks some features as compared to other website builders
3. Bluehost — Best WordPress
Bluehost recently launched a website builder based on WordPress that includes drag-and-drop editing, live editing, mobile editing, and a stock image library, with the goal of providing more than simply web hosting.
You may build parts of your website using Bluehost’s website builder and other parts with WordPress, thanks to the WordPress integration.
Over 300 templates, complete WordPress access, and custom CSS are all included in the WordPress-friendly builder.
Bluehost’s website builder comes in three plans: Basic, Pro, and Online Store.
Bluehost, like its competitors, added appealing features to its website building service, such as a free domain for the first year and 24/7 professional assistance.
- Basic: Starts at $2.95 per month
- Pro: Starts at $9.95 per month
- Online Store: Starts at $24.95 per month
Pros and Cons
- Templates and stock pictures are available in a large collection.
- WooCommerce storefronts
- Eases you into understanding the WordPress CMS
- Exceptional uptime
- No free plan
- You can’t switch templates.
- Image editing is limited.
4. Weebly — Best For Beginners
With 50 million websites developed, Weebly flies under the radar in comparison to Wix, yet it has some good options depending on your requirements.
Weebly is an excellent David to Wix’s Goliath if you want a basic and easy-to-use do-it-yourself website editor, a big site (more than 25 to 30 pages), unlimited storage, site mobility, and affordable but robust online store options.
The editor is one of the simplest website builders to use, yet despite the minimal learning curve, the site still looks amazing.
Because of its simplicity, the editor offers fewer add-ons and design flexibility, so it lacks the range of options and mobile customization that a builder like Wix has.
- Personal: Starts at $6 per month
- Professional: Starts at $12 per month
- Performance: Starts at $26 per month
Pros and Cons
- Big app store for designing your site
- SEO guides built-in
- Assign access to staff members
- Templates aren’t really exciting.
- Customization options are limited.
- Not suitable for multilingual websites.
5. Duda — Best For A Customized Experience
With about 15 million websites developed, Duda is a minor player compared to the other builders mentioned, and it focuses on a particular market segment: designers and design companies.
It caters to people and organizations that build a lot of websites, but with a strong and easy-to-use builder and a variety of unique features, it’s become a viable alternative for anybody wishing to create an online presence.
Duda’s builder distinguishes itself with features such as mobile site customization, thorough data analytics (e.g., sophisticated metrics such as form submissions, time on page, and bounce rate), and user personalization, which allows you to easily show specific messages or offers to visitors depending on the time of day, their location, or their browsing history.
It’s also noted for its multilingual features and a free e-commerce add-on that lets you sell up to ten products.
- Basic: Starts at $19 per month
- Team: Starts at $29 per month
- Agency: Starts at $59 per month
Pros and Cons
- Impressive in-house apps and widgets
- Industry-specific designs with a lot of features
- Great option if building multiple sites
- Plans are quite costly.
- Underwhelming SEO tools
- Good features are limited to higher plans only.
6. Zyro — Most User-Friendly
Zyro from Hostinger stands out for its ease of use — it’s the ideal site builder for organizations or people who don’t have much experience building websites.
A powerful drag-and-drop editor makes it simple to choose design elements, and the platform’s AI writer can even write certain text content for you, possibly saving you hours of effort. Zyro websites load very quickly after they’ve been finished.
The site builder interface is also simple to use, and registering for an account is easy.
There are more than 150 templates available, which is less than some other providers, but this just adds to Zyro’s benefits in certain ways.
The limited variety of punchy options should help newbies speed up the site-building process rather than trawling through countless designs.
- Basic: Starts at $1.99 per month
- Unleashed: Starts at $2.99 per month
- Ecommerce: Starts at $8.99 per month
- Ecommerce+: Starts at $13.99 per month
Pros and Cons
- Simple template editor
- A low-cost, entry-level platform for beginners
- Amazing add-on functionalities
- Uploading products can be puzzling
- After the site has gone live, you won’t be able to change the template.
- Lesser features than Squarespace and Wix
7. GoDaddy — Best Customer Support
GoDaddy is one of the most user-friendly website builders available, with an easy publication process and editing options.
This means that even if you’ve never made a website before, it should simply take a few minutes to have one up and running.
The GoDaddy Websites + Marketing package gives a thorough review of how your site is performing for those who want a more in-depth experience.
The analytics tool provides a complete set of metrics that compares the performance of your online presence to that of other websites in your field.
According to GoDaddy, the product has proven to be a success, with clients reporting an 18 percent boost in business revenue within 12 months of utilizing it.
- Basic: Starts at $9.99 per month
- Standard: Starts at $14.99 per month
- Premium: Starts at $19.99 per month
- Ecommerce: Starts at $24.99 per month
Pros and Cons
- The fastest way to create a website
- It’s all part of a larger marketing package.
- You can change templates at any time.
- Only suitable for small websites.
- More limiting block elements
- On the cheapest plan, there are no SEO tools.
8. Jimdo — Best For Designers and Photographers
Jimdo has been used to create over 25 million websites since 2007, and its ease of use has been lauded.
Another benefit is the way it looks, with a variety of clean, customizable templates available.
Jimdo’s professional and modern themes make it an excellent website builder for designers, photographers, and anyone else who wants to showcase their portfolio online.
The platform also has its own Logo Designer to help you make your business more recognizable.
All you have to do is enter your company name and choose a logo design starting point.
Then you personalize your icon and layout, choose a color and font, and that’s it!
Your logo is now ready to use on your business cards, social media profiles, and website.
- Play: Starts at $0 per month
- Start: Starts at $9 per month
- Grow: Starts at $15 per month
Pros and Cons
- The cheapest ad-free plans
- Jimdo Creator and Dolphin options
- On the free plan, you can sell up to five products.
- Only suitable for basic websites.
- Limited designs and strict customization
- Only ‘leave a message’ is available; no live chat is available
9. WordPress.com — Best For Writers and Bloggers
When most people talk about WordPress, they’re typically referring to WordPress.org, which offers free, open-source software.
If you’re willing to put in the time and effort, this may be an effective tool, but it still requires you to find a web host and a domain name.
The website builder on WordPress.com is unique. It’s similar to the other builders mentioned above, except it’s aimed particularly towards bloggers and writers.
The WordPress website editor is limited in comparison to other providers, but it’s simple to set up and offers all the features you’ll need for blogging.
It’s also worth noting that it’s not as easy to use as Wix or Weebly’s drag-and-drop website builders.
- Free: Starts at $0 per month
- Personal: Starts at $4 per month
- Premium: Starts at $8 per month
- Business: Starts at $25 per month
- eCommerce: Starts at $45 per month
Pros and Cons
- Thousands of plugins to choose from
- Designed specifically for blogging.
- Paid plans start at $4 per month.
- Not suitable for non-blog websites.
- Customization options are limited (without code)
- Not very user-friendly for beginners.
10. HostGator — Most Affordable
Another popular option is HostGator, whose website builder, Gator Website Builder has been commended for its ease of use and low cost, both of which should appeal to small businesses.
Gator comes in three different plans. The Starter plan, Premium plan, and e-commerce plan.
Regardless of the plan you choose, you’ll have access to a simple drag-and-drop interface that allows you to use popular design elements like pictures, videos, text boxes, columns, maps, and contact forms.
Each of Gator’s 200+ web templates is entirely customizable, making it easy to create the perfect appearance for your website.
A large range of mobile-friendly themes is now available to guarantee that your website looks great on any device.
- Starter: Starts at $3.46 per month
- Premium: Starts at $5.39 per month
- eCommerce: Starts at $8.30 per month
Pros and Cons
- Exceptional uptime
- Visually pleasing, modern site templates
- Well-designed interface
- Allows you to easily switch between themes
- There isn’t a free plan available.
- It is not possible to schedule blog posts.
- There aren’t many photo-editing options.
You’ve now read our list of the best website builders on the market, and hopefully, you have a better idea of which ones are right for you.
If you want to have a website that is easy-to-use, attractive, and professional looking for your business or blog, then one of the best options on the market is WordPress.com.
This platform offers everything from tons of plugins to affordable pricing while being very beginner-friendly with its drag-and-drop interface.
If you are more experienced in web development, though, it may be worth considering other platforms such as Wix or Jimdo, which offer more flexibility but at higher prices.
Are website builders worth it?
Overall, website builders are a very cost-effective way to create a website. Instead of spending thousands of dollars on hiring a web developer, you can design your own website for a low monthly charge using a simple drag-and-drop interface provided by website builders.
Is it better to code your website than use a website builder?
Knowing how to code a website from scratch used to be important, but nowadays, practically all professional developers and designers create websites using a website builder platform or open-source CMS software.
Website builder tools have improved dramatically in recent years, allowing you to do more in less time.
Can I switch my website builder software later?
No, except for WordPress, the majority of website builders make it very difficult to switch to another builder. This is why it’s important to choose a website builder that will allow you to grow.
Amit Gupta is the founder of National Planning Cycles, a company that helps startups, individuals, and small businesses with their financial planning. He has a vast amount of experience in the finance sector, having managed Google Play accounts for some of the world’s most successful unicorns. Amit is an expert in his field, and he uses his knowledge to help others achieve their individual goals.